Culinary Training Program
With many in Central Florida struggling to make ends meet, our community needs to expand access to economic opportunities and stable jobs.
To support the development of talent for one of our region’s largest industries, Pathlight HOME created a FREE 12-week Culinary Training Program for low-income Central Florida adults. This is a job training program for homeless and formerly homeless individuals.
Marketable Skills for Low-Income Central Floridians
Now in its sixth year, the program includes hands-on cooking classes, classroom instruction, field trips, individual coaching, a Food Handler Certification and much more.
Each class has a limited number of students to keep instruction individualized and personal. Students learn in our modern 13,000 square foot Pathlight Kitchen building, renovated in 2013 through a partnership with Orange County Government.
“We got more than a plateful. Chef Esteban taught us the proper way to de-bone a chicken, filet a fish, what ingredients to put in first. And he wasn’t just a talker. He was hands-on. You go on field trips so you’ll have an understanding of what we’ll be doing before we get into the kitchen. It was a great course. Not to mention that all this was free.”
- Rosa, Culinary Student
Lead by Our Executive Chef, Students Will Learn:
- Meal preparation and presentation
- Kitchen safety and sanitation
- Cooking methods and techniques
- Kitchen and restaurant dynamics
- Culinary math
- Knife Skills
- Food freshness
- International cooking
- Baking breads
- Creating desserts
- Courses held in a modern facility including three professional-grade kitchens, and a test/classroom kitchen for students to practice.
- Students learn life skills needed in the workplace.
- Students go on instructional field trips and visit local catering, restaurant and culinary businesses.
- Students can work with Goodwill Job Connection Center on-site for assistance with their resume and cover letter as well as interviewing skills.
- Students gain real-world experience by assisting at our Sobik’s Subs location
Boost your confidence and learn a new skill -- join our next Culinary Training Program, starting in April 2020!